Friday, March 11

Fishing on the Wrong Side of the Boat

After thinking back to the conversation I had with Alice over lunch on Tuesday, "why can we not just drop everything and follow the Lord like what Peter, Andrew, James and John did?" I want to drop everything, Lord, why don't you let me?

Looking back at the Bible story, I realized I miss a very critical point. Let revisiting the story together:

" 4When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”

5Simon answered, “Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”

6When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.

8When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” 9For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners.

Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men.” 11So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him. "
~Luke 5:4-11


One of the worries I have is how am I going to save up enough for seminary this Fall? To be honest, I'm not doing that well at work. I'm barely making ends meet, still struggling month to month. But I know God place me in this career for a reason. Though I want to leave everything behind and follow Him, I know there's a lesson I need to learn. And maybe this lesson lies in the Luke 5. Before Peter, Andrew, James and John left everything and followed Him, they had to obey Jesus. They gave up from a night of fishing, already called it quits. However, when Jesus, who was a stranger to them at this point, ask them to do something "ridiculous", they did not question but obeyed.

"Go back on to the lake and cast my net on the other side of the boat, yeah, right, like that will make a difference?!?" I would have replied.

But to the four of them, no questions asked, just obedience. And guess what, they were blessed with two boat load of fish. But then, look what they did? Left everything and followed Him. Notice the word, everything. Everything. Even the boat full of fish they just caught. They did not leave everything when they didn't have anything. They left everything when they had EVERYTHING.

Insight and Application.

God have promised me that he will provide. I'm just fishing on the wrong side of the boat... and when I eventually obey and fish on the other side of the boat, and pull up a boat load of fish, will I able to then say I'm willing to left everything behind. Anyone can leave everything behind when they have nothing... but not everyone can leave everything behind when they are weighted down with worldly treasures.

That's the lesson I need to learn.

Lord, fill my boat with fish, but then, give me the strength and wisdom to turn my back on the is boat load of fish and follow you.

No comments: