Tuesday, August 29

Turning Point

As the month of August and the summer draws to a close, I looked at how my life had changed in the time span of merely 4 months . I tried to sort out my thoughts in yesterday's post, but there are still some thoughts lingering in my mind.

I am beginning to think that this summer is a turning point in my life. Very much like the TSN Turning Point during the Jays game broadcasts. My last turning point was then I came home to Toronto 3 years ago. Now with all the changes I have experienced over the past few months, the one thought that is nudging my mind is that this is another turning point.

But the funny thing is that physically, nothing has changed. I am still in Toronto, still serving at Logos Baptist Chruch, still attending Tyndale... so in the physical sense, I'm still in the middle of what God wants me to be in. However, as I write this, I begin to understand why I feel this is a turning point in my life and my ministry to the Lord. I am reminded of Dr. J Robert Clinton's saying in his book, The Making of a Leader:
The growth of a leader is characterized by identifiable progress in terms of sphere of influence, leadership responsibility, or self-confidence. (pg 90)
Sphere of influence
There is definitely a progress in my sphere of influence. 1) As I began my term as Treasurer for the 2006-07 Tyndale Seminary Student Council, I have gain the support and prayers from my council and Kaarina. 2) My courtship with Jenny has given my accountability and emotional support. 3) My summer internship at Logos has given me the support of working closely with the pastoral staff.

Leadership responsibility
The same three point can be said of my leadership responsibility. 1) 900 Tyndale Seminary students. 2) The spiritual growth of Jenny and her family. 3) The English congregation.

Self-confidence
Last but not least, self-confidence since I came back from the mission trip to Thailand and Vietnam. Many had commented how much I have growth in maturity, and along with the experience in preaching and leading the English congregation over this summer, thank God for the confidence He has instilled in me. Yet, I must remind myself to continually rely on Him daily for guidence and wisdom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel, good to read a little of what God is doing in your life and of what you are doing in the lives of others. I found your blog checking the web stats for www.wycliffe.ca . This month you made it into the list of top referers and there were over 60 visits to our site because of your blog. Thanks.
God will show you where he wants you on the mission field. He might not show you how many other people he calls to missions through you.