Monday, August 28

Growing up

The events from the past summer made me think of one thing Karen asked me a few years ago when I moved back to Toronto from Ottawa: "When do you think your parents had stopped parenting you?" I said to her I think it happened when I moved back from Ottawa. It is not that I do not need the help of the parents anymore, I still treasure their wisdom.

Responsibilities. I feel that as we learn from our increasing responsibilities, we grow up. When I was much younger, I thought independence was the mark of growing up - that's what I moved away from home for seven years. Yet, I came to a realization this past weekend that independence marks the passage into growing up is merely an illustration.

This past weekends the university and young career group were away camping. In front of me were ten young individuals under my care. They are the near future of our church - the leaders and servants. This camp was for the purpose to give these ten young people, and myself, the much needed rest, fun and fellowship. My responsibly to this group of young people were to provide for them physically and spiritually. These are my sheep, even Rev Lau slipped and called me pastor Joel this Sunday. That is a great responsibility God is inviting me to... He's putting the futures of His plans in my hands.

Oh, is this what growing up is all about, not so much in independence, but ultimately how we handle increasing responsibilities. Thank God that He is the gardener, nourishing me, watering me and watching me grow. Thank you, Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey bro, once again I just wanna thank you for taking care of us at the camp. Physically speaking I definitely got some rest because of you! I got to the camp quite drained and weary from a long week of work. Thank God for your servanthood...

I look forward to calling you PJ for good! But I'm sure we also want to be known as more than your sheep, we want to be your close friends as well, to receive love from you, but also love YOU and care for YOUR needs.

We're here for you too bro. Don't put all the burdens on yourself! We love you! Thanks again for a great weekend.