Wednesday, August 23

Life is War

Okay, all silliness aside now, time to revisit my sermon from Sunday. Life is War.

"Because life is war. And it is utterly impossible for people to know what prayer really is until they know that they are in a war." ~John Piper
Currently Reading the The PAPA Prayer by Larry Crabb
Why is the Christian prayer life so hard? This is the question that has been plaguing my mind ever since my sermon prep last week. To be honest, I would never hesitated to pick up the phone to call a good friend just to chat, or I would be extremely excited to see Jenny online or to call her. Is talking to a good friend or girlfriend more exciting than talking to God, the creator of the universe? Echoing my previous post "Is this Glorifying God", is such excitement a sign of idolatry?

Yes, I do love my morning conversations with God and the occasion thanksgivings throughout the day. But how do I do even better in my prayer life?

While I was at Mitchel's yesterday, I decided to pickup Larry Crabb's "The PAPA Prayer". I found a seat in the middle of the store, plopped myself down on to the couch and begin browsing through the book.

I do not recall of another time when the first page of a book put me to tears. I immediately got up, grabbed my 30% off coupon and gift cards from my car, and purchased the book.

But if God is so good as you represent Him, and if He knows all that we need, and far better than we do ourselves, why should it be necessary to ask Him for anything?

I answered, What if He knows Prayer to be the thing we need first and most? What if the main object in God's idea of prayer be the supplying of our great, our endless need - the need of Himself? Hunger may drive the runaway child home, and he may or may not be fed at once, but he needs his mother more than his dinner. Communion with God is the one need of the soul beyond all other need: prayer is the beginning of the communion, and some need is the motive of that prayer. So begins a communion, a talking with God, a coming-to-one with Him, which is the sole end of prayer.
George MacDonald
I want that communion with God. I'm excited about that communion with God. Thank You, Lord, you do know exactly what I need. And all other "worldly" things are secondary. In the war of life, the only way to victory is the communion with God.

No comments: