Monday, August 14

Arts and Sports Camp - Day 1

"God's best gifts come slowly." ~ M.H.Lount

This as what I learned as I was preparing for today's sermon at the Arts and Sports Camp. Patience. Patience for God's best gift. That's the secret of Gen 29, the Great pursuit. After 7 years of labour, Jacob was not satisfied with Leah, he wanted the "best", so that's why he was willing to endure 14 years of labour for Rachel.

"So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her." (Genesis 29:20)

How do we learn to have such patience? By knowing God only wants the best for us.

"God's best gifts come slowly. We could not use them if they did not. Many a man, called of God to a work in which he is pouring out his life, is convinced that the Lord means to bring his efforts to a successful conclusion. Nevertheless, even
such a confident worker grows discouraged at times and worries because results do not come as rapidly as he would desire.

But growth and strength in waiting are results often greater than the end so impatiently longed for. Paul had time to realize this as he lay in prison. Moses must have asked, 'Why?' many times during the delays in Midian and in the wilderness. Jesus Himself experienced the discipline of delay in His silent years before His great public ministry began." ~ M.H.Lount


The growth and strength in waiting are results often greater than the end so impatiently longed for. This applies to every facet of life. In ministry, in relationships, in 'promises' from God. This concept resounds while I am serving in the Arts and Sports Camp. In preaching to those 32 little ones and teaching them sports, there is always the temptation to be impatient with them. Yes, these little one can get on your nerves at time, as some of the young helpers are quickly learning, but one particular camper made me realize how importantly it is to be patient with them.

Justin Mar. Justin Mar is talented in soccer for a boy his age. Yet what made Justin stood out for me is not his talents nor what he brings to the camp, it is the fact that his dad is Cecil Mar - one of my counselor while I was at Grace Gospel. At Sunday School, we were a rowdy bunch. Cecil had the fun task of looking over 20 of us on our softball team (F.O.T.S.). What if he was impatient with us? Surly I would not be here today preaching the Gospel to his son.


In regards to the camp, I woke up this morning tired from the sermon prep. Knowing I have a long week ahead of me, I dragged myself out of bed and prepared myself for a week of kids. But praise God, as soon as the day began, a sudden surge of energy overcame me and I decided to lead the kids and the helpers from the front (also to take some load off of Pastor Freda). It was fun pulling out all stops leading the kids in "Boom-chica-boom" and my "Joe from the button factory" song.

Tired, but 4 more wonderful days to go.

*******

I also had dinner with my high school gang... so tired from the kids that I didn't want to go. But glad I did, good times catching up.

No comments: