Thursday, August 10

"The Walk" with Rev. Lau

Yesterday, after our weekly church pastoral lunch, Rev. Lau and I decided to have a walk around the neighborhood to let the food settle down. I was also the talk to catch up on the whirlwind of crisis last week and to prep me for the coming two weeks while he is away on his studies.

He started by asking what have I learned working in the church office over the past month. In reply, I told him it was awesome to see the relational aspect the pastors are involved with the congregation. The church is not about programs, it is about relationships. In order to "attract" more people to attend we tend to get bogged up with program planning while neglecting the relational side of the attendees. I felt it first hand in the crisis last week. And it was a tough lesson in pastoral counseling especially when I even have to draw the line between my role as a pastor to the congregation and my role as a son and brother to my family.

Rev. Lau commented he was glad to see how well I handled the situation - knowing when to engage to crisis and when to back off, draw my professional boundaries and smoothly pass the task of overseer to someone else. Surly it will be one experience I will but forget.

Now looking forward, pray for me. Once again, Rev Lau will be away and I'll have to step up shepherd the congregation. And boy, it will be a long and busy two week. My body is screaming "NOOooo" at the thought of the workload yet my spirit is excited about the possibility of being pushed to the limits and shaped my God. Next week is Arts & Sports Camp for the kids. 30 kids. Teaching them soccer, softball, bowling, drama, music, crafts and dance. I have to prepare three morning messages for the kids as well as teach them soccer and softball. All while I am preparing the sermon for next Sunday. Then next week, a study in Philippians for the high school kids and Young Career/University Summer Camp to top of the week. Please pray for me.

No comments: