Thursday, July 28

A Productive Birthday

27 already. Every since university, I did not like celebrating my birthday. Maybe because I always had to study on my birthday since the exams of summer term is always at the end of July. But I think the main reason is because I do not like all the attention on myself. Therefore I don't find birthdays any different than any other days.

So I decided to run errends today. A great way to spend some productive time all by myself. But to start the day off, dim sum with Grandma. Realizing I haven't had lunch with grandma much since she moved up north, it's time to catchup with her. But apparently she had dim sum plans already with two other "por por", so I join the three of them for dim sum.

I guess it has been a year since Lee, my younger cousin, got married. And also two years since Nap's wedding, my older cousin. That was the center of discussion for grandma and the two por por. "Ah Yin, when is your turn?" They took the liberty of taking turn giving my tips on how to find the "perfect wife". So funny, entertaining all the suggestions. I took their suggestion with a grain of salt because I already know the qualities I should look for in my wife. They are listed in Proverbs 31.

Another funny incident occured during dim sum, probably due to the numbing effect of today's center of discussion, is that all of a sudden I forgot how to write my Chinese name. I felt so ashamed. Maybe it's a wake up call from God, telling me to sharpen my Chinese.

After dim sum, I had my fury of errands. I went to Tyndale to register for my courses. I got my first choice in all my course, 4 courses in Fall, 5 in the Winter.

Fall '05 - Greek I, Systematic Theology I, Leadership Development, Worship & Liturgy
Winter '06 - Greek 2, Systematic Theology 2, NT History & Theology, Bible Interpretation, Spiritual Formation

Praise God, I got Prof Penner for both Greek.

After registering, I went to Scarborough Town Center to renew my license plate. But I realize I needed to do emission testing first. So emission testing I go. The wait time was good, gave me a chance to do some reading. Afterward, back to STC for renewal, but I realized I forgot my auto-insurance in the car. Third time the charm. license plate renewed, I went home and decided to wash and wax my car, completely clean the interior, fix the broken truck light and change the engine oil.

Fixing the truck light was a challenge. Now I know what it feels like to be a dead body in the truck. I found out that the truck light was broken, so I was lying in the trunk trying to solder the wire upside-down. That was a first.

After all that, off to church for coffeehouse rehersal... or so I thought.

After picking up Harmony, arrived at church to see Mike to be first one at the church locked out. So I went to unlock the door. When I opened the door, I found it odd that the alarm was not set. Then before stepping through the door, I looked down as saw a plate of whip cream, "Uh oh". My last sight was Genuine jumping out from behind the door. There's no point in running, I just turned around and walked. Whip cream, shaving cream, flour, eggs, water... 16 people throwing all sort of things at me. All that was missing was chocolate chip and I'll become a human cookie.

Man, they got me competely off guard. Coffeehouse rehersal. That was a good one. What amazing is that I only know all of them of a year. I praise God for the bond we developed over the last year. They had my complete trust. And spending my birthday with these brothers and sisters is the best thing I can ask for. Thank You, Lord for these great friends.

Angie, Olga, Olwen and Candy baked me a cake. Candy and Genunie made me a wonderful scrapbook. Theresa and Johan got me a very nice gift. How blessed I am? Thank You, Lord, for giving me the best birthday ever. And thank you, Candy, for all the planning you put it.

But Gen and Candy, you know I usually find a way to top whatever to done to me. So lemme see, who's birthday is next? Ahhh, that's right, July 29th, Genuine's birthday. Mahahah.

No comments: