Back in Toronto, at the airport waiting for mom to pick me up. Aside from the brief rollercoaster ride, I slept through the entire flight. Shortly after landing, got a message from Jenny that she’s also home safe and sound. Praise the Lord!
Yesterday, Winnie, Jenny and I drive out from Las Vegas to visit Saddleback Church. The excitement was high on route to Saddleback. However, the trip did have it’s obstacles. From clocks set to 3 hours fast, to traffic jam and completely getting lost when we were supposedly 0.4 miles from the church, I felt that spiritual warfare was trying to keep us from reaching church with the heart of worship. While we finally arrived 30 minutes late to service, but Praise God, He taught the three of us to encourage each other.
Upon arrival at Saddleback, we were amazed at the size of the church. There were 6 venues to choose from with various worship styles. One thing that was confusing was finding parking. The parking lots were all full and following the parking attendant’s directions we were actually directed to the exit. It felt like, “Welcome to Saddleback, our parking lots are full, you may leave now.” We managed to find parking at the Ministry Building, and on our trek up the hill to the Worship Center, a nice lady offered us a ride there.
At the Worship Center, I was in awe. Walking by the baptism pool, people were sitting outside in the patio enjoying the sun and receiving God’s word over loud speakers. It was not Rick Warren speaking, but the message was powerful. We found standing room at the entrance of the Worship Center. I must admit, it was a humbling experience for me. As a newcomer to the church I was expecting to be welcomed and ushered to the proper areas. But God said to me, “Why should you deserve special treatments, humble yourself and serve Me.” That’s the continual message Father is training me – obedience and humility.
After the service, I then truly realize the size of the church. The Worship Center sits 2000 worshippers, along with the other 5 venues, overflow sitting and patio sitting, there must be around 5000 adults in attendance. It was like a convention, and they have services 6 times a week. Wow! And the line up for speakers they have over the next few weeks. Next week, Steve Arterburn. The end of July, Lee Strobel. Double wow!!!
We took time running around the church campus, it is truly amazing. They have a shark tank in the Children Building, BBQ and patio by the High School Ministry Building, rivers and cascading waterfall running throughout the campus. And mostly amazingly, a hill with the Calvary on top and the tomb built right into the hill. Beach volleyball court, basketball courts, and a frisbee golf field. We were like kids running around the church campus. We agreed that in the Kingdom of God, we will too run around giggling, laughing, rolling on the grass, climbing up rocks, and splashing water.
What an amazing church! But, I was reaffirmed that, for now, Logos Baptist Church is my home. No matter how much fun Saddleback is, I still miss the brothers and sisters at Logos. Over the last few weeks, one thing God has been doing is to stretch my vision – To think big and do big things for God. Maybe one day, we will have our own church campus. But all those are just materialistic things, the most important thing I learn was the Saddleback method to connect and cater to different groups.
What’s next? Willowcreek? 722? Brooklyn Tabernacle? :P
No comments:
Post a Comment