I remember when learning to play a new sport, all my senses are overwhelmed and the action is a blur all around me. The toughest part about learning a new sport is not the rules, the strategy or the skills, but it is learning how to slow the game down. The action is till occurring at a blazing speed, but in my mind the action slows down and it seems I have more time to make decisions and react.
It is like when I play soccer, carrying the ball at full speed down the left wing toward the baseline, in my mind the game is slow down enough so that I am aware of the defender approaching, how teammates are making runs to get themselves in space, notice which way the defender is leaning so that I can make the decision of deking around him, crossing the ball with my left foot, or stopping in my run turn around and crossing with my right foot. When the game slows down like that, decisions and reactions made in that time increases the chances of winning the game.
In a world where instant gratification is king, there are very little opportunities to slow down life. MSN/emails/cell phones provide instant communication. Internet provide instant information. Cars and transportation allows us to travel from one point to another quickly. Computers allow us to multi-task. Can we live without these wonderful technology? Most may say no. But I beg you can. That why I still enjoy writing and sending letters, it has such a way to develope patience and quietness. Life seems to by zooming by me, by the time I graduate from Tyndale I will be 30. If I do not learn to slow the game of life down, how can I be effective for God?
Jesus had a short 3 years ministry, imagine how fast life fly by for him. But Jesus were able to slow down life by spending time with God every morning and every evening.
RSV Matthew 14:22 Then he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24 but the boat by this time was many furlongs distant from the land, beaten by the waves; for the wind was against them. 25 And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea.
NKJ Mark 1:32 At evening, when the sun had set, they brought to Him all who were sick and those who were demon-possessed. 33 And the whole city was gathered together at the door. 34 Then He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He did not allow the demons to speak, because they knew Him. 35 Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.
No comments:
Post a Comment