"Christ . . is more of an artist than the artists; he works in the living spirit and the living flesh; he makes men instead of statues."
~ Vincent Van Gogh, The Complete Letters, B9, III, 499
On the drive to school today, I was reflecting on the work God is doing in my life. Why did the past few days feel so grim? I reminded myself to rejoice in trials and tribulations, but at times that seem so hard. How did Paul do it when he was in chains? Or when David was in the wilderness running from his very own king, how did he cope with the stress? When king Saul walked into the cave where David was hiding, what was running through his mind?
In Spiritual Formation yesterday, Dr. Sherbino mentioned the condition "reactive depression". "Reactive depression" when one is depressed due to the reaction to an external event. I am "reactivity depressed" when I do not meet my own expectations. When I and disappointed with myself, I can feel the energy drain out of me. When I am stressed, I want to sleep.
Yet, I can hear God telling me this is the project He's is working on. Getting me to cope with emotional stress. Should I be disappointed at myself to the point of depression? God, Creator of the heavens and the earth, master artist, he makes men instead of statues. His medium is my flesh. "And God saw that it was good" As a fellow artist, I can understand if someone devalues my works. I'd get angry because I poured my heart out into my creation... How would God feel when we devalues His masterpiece.
He did not make me out of stones the is static through the passage of time. He made me out of flesh, sharping me according to the current conditions and preparing me for future challenges. Therefore I how He has great things planned for me... all I have to do is to endure, with joy, the current challenges.
No comments:
Post a Comment