Wednesday, September 14

The Ultimate Sunday School

Oh wow, my head hurts from all the intensive theology today.



But to start, my day started with everything going wrong. I left
the house this morning at 7:15am, on bike. I imagine it will take 45min
to bike to school. And I want making good time. It only toke me 20min
to get to Victoria Park and McNicoll (only 3 blocks away from Tyndale).
But than, , flat tire. So okay, I got 45min to spare, no problem,
I waited for the bus. I have exactly $2.78 in my pockets, so I have
$0.28 to spare if I take the bus. Oh, how I miss Ottawa, bus with bike
racks in the front. It's rush hour, the bus driver did not let me on
the bus with my bike, even after pleading with him that I have a flat.
So the only choice I have is to walk... walk... and walk... and walk...
8:26am, finally arrived at school.



Systematic Theology. A large class, about 60 students in the class.
No "let's introduce ourselves". The moment I sat down we are right into
the thick of things. "What is theology?" Dr. Shepard is awesome. Gotta
be one of the smart man I've ever met. When he speaks, I can only catch
about 5% of what he was saying because of his wealth of knowledge.
After class I exchanged email with pastor Freda and found out that she
still listen to Dr. Shepard's lecture tapes while she drives eventhough
it has been several years since she took Systematic.


But what I learn today, scientific knowledge is information about
that particular object. It does not change you. But rather, Biblical
"knowing" is to be transform through personal intimacy.



That's why Paul said "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." (1 Cor. 8:1)



So we can study all the theology we want but it does not draw us
close to God. Look at the Jews in the Bible, they are the most
"theological" people in the world, but yet they miss the boat on know
the heart of God. Yet, theology provides us with the foundation of our
faith, that's why it is necessary. Man, this is like my dream come
true, the ultimate Sunday School.


And in the afternoon, even better. Worship & Liturgy. Theology
of worship. The meaning of worship and studying worship in the OT.
Woohoo! Can't wait till next week, worship in the NT. But also I am
reminded of 300 pages of reading and book report next week. Please pray
for me. Thanks.

No comments: