Friday, September 9

Tyndale Retreat - Day 1

The long awaited Tyndale Retreat snuck up on me after a busy few weeks. I cannot believe, one more weekend than school begins.



I did some quick Back to School shopping before heading up to camp.
Spent a whopping total of $6.36 with the purchase of a dozen 80pgs
notebooks and a dozen pens. Just like back in the old Waterloo days.
For some reason everyone expected me to take note with my laptop, but I
really prefer notes taking with pen and paper.



The journey up to Musoka Baptist Conference took two hours, three
hours including the traffic and dinner. Musoka, my old stomping grounds
along with Algonquin Provincial Park. The place where I picked up most
of my camping skills. So many memories and stories. And now I'm adding
another to this beloved place, the beginning of my seminary career.


I drove up to camp with Frederick. We had the chance to chat about
what we think about our church so far. We shared many opinion about
what is the current state of the church. I will be looking forward to
spending the weekend with Frederick, Bernie and Alfred as we soak up on
what God is going to teach and bring it back to church.



The highly anticipated was more then I expected. Upon arrival to
the camp, I was greeted with the warm for Christ's love. At first,
other then Colin and those from my church, I did not know anyone else.
Well, there was also Josh whom I remember from high school, along with
John and Jon I met at the orientation. But that quickly changed. As we
worshipped our Father with all our hearts, you cannot help but to get
to know the people around you sharing this same heart of worship. There
was Nohumm, from Mali, sitting next to me - a character that never
cease to put a smile on your face.



The message from Dr. Van Johnson was awe inspiring. He painted a
beautiful picture of Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus hanging on to
His every word, while Martha busyed herself in the kitchen. It was a
reminder that eventhough we are now studying the Bible as a textbook,
we should not take it for granted and still spend time in daily
devotion to let the Word of God change our hearts.



After the evening service, eventhough I was tired from the drive, I
decide to spend some time getting to know the other students. So
Nohumm, Monik, Terri, George and I made our way to lakeside to enjoy
the evening skies. The lovely cool crisp evening air was enchanced by
the magnificant display of the cloudless/moonless evening sky. I have
never seen such an awesome display of stars and the milky way. We spend
the next two hours sharing our story.


As we were watching a plance quietly fly across the sky, Nohumm
told us that back home in Mali when the farm workers see a plane fly
across the sky, they will all drop all their tools and watch in awe.
With that, I quickly commented that is exactly what Mary did at the
feet of our Lord, Jesus. She dropped everything else and listen to the
Lord in awe. And that is what we need to remember to do.

No comments: