Sunday, August 21

Back in Service

Sorry, Jenny, for stealing your pun. But it is how I felt stepping into
church today. It was the first time this summer, I got the sit down
during a sermon back home at York Region and just soak in what God has
to say to me. Since the last week of June, I have been either away or
speaking on the Sunday. Waterloo, Saddleback, Montreal, speaking in
English Serivce, rafting, 2 weeks of Children messages... that's 7
weeks. But as I'm writing these things down, I began to realize this is
how a senior pastor of a church feels. They are either speaking at
their home church or speaking as a guest speaker. Joel, why are you
whining? God is just equipping you for His good works.



HAhahah!!! God has a funny way to reaffirm His words. As soon as I
wrote the down what I felt God was saying to me, He send me a
confirmation. I am listening to Seattle's Spirit 105.3 over internet
radio, and Mercy Me's "I Can Only Imagine" came on. I remember learning this song when I was visiting Montreal Chinese Alliance Church.



"I can only imagine what it will be like

When I walk by your side

I can only imagine what my eyes will see

When your face is before me

I can only imagine

I can only imagine



Surrounded by your glory

What will my heart feel?

Will I dance for you Jesus?

Or in awe of you be still?

Will I stand in your presence?

Or to my knees will I fall?

Will I sing Halelluja?

Will I be able to speak at all?

I can only imagine

I can only imagine



I can only imagine when that day comes

And I find myself standing in the Son

I can only imagine when all I will do

Is forever, forever worship you

I can only imagine

I can only imagine"

~I Can Only Imagine
by Mercy Me



I remember this song touched me so much when I heard it. It a call
that made me really examined myself what will I do in the presence of
God. What I do truly reflects the status of my heart.



Well, back to today. Amazingly, still under the influence of the
flu, I was able to wake up early without trouble. The Church Ministry
Counsel meeting ended at 10:00. By the time I got home, it was need
11:00 and with the help of Neo-Citran I was out cold in no time. I
wanted to arrive to church early to setup up for service. Implanmenting
some ideas what was brought up during the meetings. As we placed each
chair down, we prayed for the person who is going sit in that seat for
service today. As service began, some of the younger ones are surprise
by the new setup, but overall we found it less distracting and more
intimate.


I really enjoyed the service today. I enjoy the company of the
brothers and sisters, worshipping with them and fellowshipping with
them. Mike Jr's message was refreshing. Mike and I agreed that though
theology wise the two of us have a long way to catch up with the likes
of Rev. Lau and Rev. Thumb, but we can use our youth as an advantage to
relate to today's culture and mentality.


After service, I was scheduled to umpire three softball games. Part
of me told me to go home and get some rest, but I didn't want to let
Bill and Ivan down. It only has been one week since the end of my
Sanctuary softball season, but umping the games made me miss playing
already. Umping the games was fun, but spending 6 hours on my feet was
taxing to my already weakened body. Also staying mentally sharp was
difficult too. But interestingly, as my body got weaker and weaker
throughout the day, I became mentally more alert. For it was during the
last game where most of the difficult calls were made. Relying main on
my hearing to make the calls at first base.



The surprise of the day came during dinner time with Bill, Cindy
and Ivan. Out of the blue, Cindy ask me why I was going to seminary. I
just told her it was God's calling. But she asked me was going on in my
mind when I was in Vancouver? Was I already thinking about serving God
fulltime when I was called while I was in Vancouver? So I ended up
sharing with them my struggles in 2003 and how I came back to Toronto
from Ottawa. In the end, Bill and Cindy shared how they met and how
they became romanticly involved after being friends for 9 years. That's
when God reminded me that He only gives us the best. Bill shared that
before datng Cindy, he told a brother that he wanted a wife with
similar qualities to Cindy, but he never considered Cindy because they
were such good friends and she is 8 years younger. He could have never
imagine God provided him with the real Cindy. Praise God for giving us
only the best.


"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?
Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though
you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much
more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

~Matt 7:9-11

No comments: