Friday, February 9

The Dare

Dare To Move
by Switchfoot

Welcome to the planet
Welcome to existence
Everyone's here
Everyone's here
Everybody's watching you now
Everybody waits for you now
What happens next?
What happens next?

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened before

Welcome to the fallout
Welcome to resistance
The tension is here
The tension is here
Between who you are and who you could be
Between how it is and how it should be

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened

Maybe redemption has stories to tell
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell
Where can you run to escape from yourself?
Where you gonna go?
Where you gonna go?
Salvation is here

I dare you to move
I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself
Lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened
Today never happened
Today never happened before
At times, life seems like a dare. We can refuse to accept the dare and let life passes us by, or we can take the leap of faith the accept the dare as a challenge. What is the consequences of the dare? If you fail at the dare: Humiliation. Embarrassment. Defeat. Rejection. If you succeed: Triumph. Achievement. Liberating. Growth.

Humiliation. Embarrassment. Defeat. Rejection. These are all extremely traumatic experiences. There is an inert fear in everyone of us to avoid these experiences if possible. Does the exultation of succeeding at a dare out-weights the possibility of these traumatic experience.

Two biblical characters came in mind. Jonah (because we are currently studying the book of Jonah) and Jacob.

Jonah. At the call to witness to the people in Nineveh (Assyrians), the brutally violent most hated enemies of Israel, Jonah refuse to accept the dare and fled. He did not want to face the ridicule of the people of Nineveh, or worst, face to crudity at the hands of these people. Also he did not think these people deserves the mercy of God. What happened to Jonah? In the belly of a fish... good as dead...

Jacob. When given the opportunity of meet face to face with God, what did he do? He took the dare and wrestled God. Is he out of his mind? The consequences of wrestling with God is far more serious than humiliation, embarrassment, defeat or rejection. It could cause him his life. Yet in the end, God blessed him

Jonah seek to save his life, but 'lost' it. Jacob took the dare that could of caused him his life, find life.
Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
~Matt 10:39
Do you dare?

No comments: