Tuesday, January 23

Am I Real?

"You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
~Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit


Life is a process of becoming. You either become who you were meant to be, or you become who you were not. One way or another, you become somebody. And this process of becoming is a long process.

Today, I questioned myself how do I become a footnote in the lives of those I minister to?

I have to be vulnerable, be transparent, smooth out my sharp edges, and open up myself to be loved. This process is usually painful -- most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But his is the only way to become real to those who I minister to. In order to touch the lives of my congregation with my live, I stand vulnerable, exposed, naked. It might not be a pretty sight, "but these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

No comments: