Wednesday, December 6

People watching

People watching
by Jack Johnson
Sing-A-Longs & Lullabies for the Film Curious George [SOUNDTRACK]

Well I'm just people watching
The other people watching me
And we're all people watching
The other people watching we
We're as lonely as we wanted to be
We're all as lonely as we wanted to be
Just as lonely as we wanted to be
I'm just you, you're just me
But it's only true if we believe
Well there really ain't no use in stopping
What nobody never told me not to do
So I'll keep people watching, watching me now
Finding my way back to you
We're as lonely as we wanted to be
We're all as lonely as we wanted to be
I'm just as lonely as I wanted to be
I'm just you, you're just me
But it's only true if we believe
I see so many feet going so many ways
People passing by, they got nothing to say
All on our own, just watching and confused
Nobody told me what to do
I can't stop breaking all the rules
And I'm just people watching
The other people watching me
We're all people watching
The other people watching we
We're as lonely as we wanted to be
We're not so lonely as we wanted to be
I'm just as lonely as I wanted to be
Not so lonely
Lonely, lonely, lonely
The Seminary Student Council was volunteering at Fairview Mall today for the Salvation Army manning the Christmas Kettles. I was the first one to arrive at 3:00p while the rest of them will come after classes at 4:30p. My job was to stand next to the kettle with the Salvation Army red vest on, and smile... simple enough.

Standing there in the middle of the mall by myself, time ticked by slowly. What made time go by slower was the fact that I was posted opposite from a jewelry story which had a grandfather clock in plain sight.

{tick} {tick} {tick}

I kept reciting Phil 2:14 in my head:
"Do everything without complaining or arguing"
To pass time, I began to hum "People Watching" by Jack Johnson while I watched people. I learned so much in the hour and a half of observations.
The Widow's Offering
41Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.

43Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

~Mark 12:41-44

Jesus was too people watching at the temple - Watching people put large sums of money into the temple treasury. I also watched people put large sums of money into the kettle. There were these two ladies I would describe the "Pharisee ladies". One took out a loonie and just before she deposited the coin she loudly exclaimed: "I do this every year, and next year I'm planning to make a large donation!"

{sigh}

Then there are those who sneak up to the kettle and quickly make a donation... I would turn my head and suddenly there will be someone right in front of me. And they would be gone before I can say thank you and Merry Christmas. This was the case with one lady, suddenly appeared, deposited $100 and gone.

God bless them, bless their meek and gentle spirit.

What touched my heart the most today was this little boy, around 10 - 12 years old. Came by the kettle and push some coins out of his pockets and toss them into the kettle. Touched by his act of kindness at such a young age, I bowed and said "thank you, sir, and have a Merry Christmas" as he smiled and hurried off. 5 minutes later, the same boy came out of Shopper's Drug Mart now with a big chocolate bar in his hands grab the remaining change he had and tossed it into the kettle, saying "that all I have."

May God bless this little boy. And thank You, Lord, for challenging me through the actions of this little boy.

No comments: