Wednesday, June 12

Community and Healing

Community is indispensable for our healing. We are strengthened as we give others authority to enter and speak into our lives.
"God has willed that we should seek and find His living Word in the witness of a brother, in the mouth of man. Therefore the Christian needs another Christian who speaks God's Word to him. He needs him again and again when he becomes uncertain and discouraged, for by himself he cannot help himself without belying the truth."
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together
In life, there will always be suffering. Do not suffer alone.

I had to learn this while I was walking through the dark valley in my life throughout the past year - when I was doubting God's ministry for me as a pastor, when I was face to face with pastoral depression, when I was dealing with stress related medical issues, and when I was constantly questioning whether life is worth living.

It was very tempting to spend time alone to internalize all these feelings and pain. But when I thought I was on a journey to understanding myself more, it was feeding more into the depression that I face. The doubt deepened, and the world got darker.

I needed help: Help from my peers, help from my family, professional help. What they did was to speak into my life. That I am broken, and that's okay because it means I have room to grow. That I am weak, and that's okay because it means I need God to carry me. Past wounds began to surface, and healing began to take place. Community is indispensable for our healing.

No comments: