Thursday, July 20

Not done fighting yet

"I have come here to win the Tour and I am not done fighting yet."
~Floyd Landis


What a heart of a champion! Floyd Landis, after losing 8min and the yellow jersey, it looked any hope of winning the Tour was over (8 minutes behind with only 4 days to go). Yet he pulled out something special today. He made up 7'30 today, won the stage and climb back to 3rd in the overall standing.

I remembered two years ago when he was Lance Armstrong's teammate on team US Postal Service, he lead Lance for the whole 17th stage, he asked Lance for permission to race for a stage win. With the encouragement from Lance, he attacked.

I still remember what Lance said that day: " How bad do you wanna win a stage in the Tour de France?"

"Real bad" said Floyd.

"How fast can you go downhill"

"I go downhill real fast, can I do it?"

"Sure you can do it; run like you stole something, Floyd."

On Floyd's mind, all he thought of was the team and to help Lance win the Tour. On that day two years ago, Floyd did not win. Jan Urich chased him down and ended in one Lance's epic win in "No Gifts".

Now, today, he came to fight. He came to win.

*******

Will I let my yesterday ruin by present? Floyd didn't. He put yesterday behind him, and raced the good race.

(NIV) Phil 3:13b "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead"

(NIV)1 Cor 9:24"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

Run like you stole something. With the Gospel, the gift of God, in my hands, can I run like I stole something? Or am I looking back? Or am I worried about the dangers of the twisty road? With God as my guide, I'm sure I can "go downhill real fast" too. What is there to worry? Why let my past ruin my present. I want to run like I stole something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.