A pretty productive day working on this Sunday's sermon. I am glad to say that it is almost ready. I begin to wonder, without the Holy Spirit, it will be just Joel babbling for 30 minutes - It must be a torture. Hah hah. Thank God for His Spirit, that the congregation actually come back week after week to hear the Word of God instead of the babbling of Joel.
Sometimes I feel selfish, whether I am preparing for sermons, Bible studies or worshops. I feel that of all the people in attendence, I am the one who get the most out of the message. :P I'll just have to trust the Spirit as He do His work in the heart of people.
Today while preparing for the sermon, this was how I felt. I remember learning a quote, forgetting who is the author now: "When your memories are bigger than your dreams, your life is over.” You can call me sentimental, but I often cling on to my memories. You can tell by the stuff underneath my bed and in my basement. Maybe it is the photographer in me to capture every moment. Yet God in His creation is so amazing that some of my most vivid memories are the ones I could not capture on film (i.e. when the black bear the wandering into my campsite or when I was trapped on the rapids with the column on thunder cloud rising behind me).
I have a habit of dwelling in my memories. But the Bible said that "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Phil 3:13b-14) Memories are great, but sometime the past can weight us down. Whether they are something bad I did, something bad that has happend to me, or my past success. Forget what is behind. Just like what I said last week, don't let yesterday ruin your today. And straining toward what is ahead.
I does feel good after cleaning my room yesterday. I completely clean out under my bed and to boxes under my desk... tossed out 3 bags of garbage. The dozen of boxes in the basement beware, you are next.
In order to run God's race, I must learn to travel light. And the faster I can run, the faster I can get to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
PS: Well, I just gave away half of my sermon outline. Please come back Sunday if you want to hear to rest. :P
2 comments:
Post a Comment