Friday, March 2

The Paradoxical Life

Let [the person] who cannot be alone beware of comminuty. Let [the person] who is not in community beware of alone.
~Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Of one of the many paradoxes in life, we need both community and solitude. "Human beings were made for relationships: without a rich and nourishing network of connections, we wither and die... At the same time, we were made for solitude. Our lives may be rich in relationships, but the human self remains a mystery of enfolded inwardness that no other person can possibly enter or know. If we fail to embrace our ultimate aloneness and seek meaning only in communion with others, we wither and die." ~Parker J. Palmer

In light of what I've been experiencing recently, I have realized that is the essence of "connecting". With my headache and bad back, I have withdrew into solitude. When Rev. Lau challenged me today why I did not seek support from the church and community, I realized one of my weakness have surface. The temptation to solve problems on my own. But the idea of sharing each other's burdens and pains in the process of connecting with others and with ourselves.

Lord, thank you for helping me see my weaknesses.

No comments: