Sitting in my office, I know there a bunch of things I can be doing (i.e. finishing up this Sunday sermon, finish next month's BLogos articles, write that article on Urban Missions and Ministries for Tyndale Link, or even finish the prep for Saturday's mission conference). But I started thinking, what does all these ministries mean if I am not connected to the people I'm serving...
Rebecca, Jermaine and I sat down yesterday to talk about the mission and ministry of TC and we all agreed on that for TC were the rubber hits the road is in the one-on-one engagement between captains and teens, teens and peers, coaches and teens. To a larger extent, mentor coaches and volunteers, etc. The bulk of God's life transformative work is not in the message, the singing, the media presentation, it's in life influencing life.
That got me thinking. As a pastor, does my congregation know me? As pastors, we were told to act professionally, but how is that helping the ministry God has put in my hands. I preach at least twice a month, write once a month in the BLogos, lead Bible Studies and attend meetings, but how does all that aid the relationship building with the people I ministry too.
This lead me back to this blog... people use to say they know me because of this blog. They would know how I feel, what I'm going through, and etc. If they don't like what I'm saying or who I am, they don't have to read this blog. But when I became a pastor, this blog became all "business". I'll only write if I have something "insightful" to say. It is not the "real" me anymore. How am I to influence other lives if I'm not being real with my life.
So I've made a decision, I am going to revive this blog. New design, new focus. And not to just fill it with "insights" but with my life. So I can witness with my life. And live out my life as a living sacrifice.
No comments:
Post a Comment